The North region of Portugal is an open economy with a long tradition of international trade. Located in the north-west of the Iberian Peninsula, its 144 kilometres of Atlantic coast are a determining factor for this economic tradition.
The link with the sea is a significant element in its cultural and historic heritage. The North Region has 3.7 million inhabitants and a population density which is 1.5 times higher than the average of Continental Portugal and the European Union. The North Region, a young, entrepreneurial and industrial region, where you can find outstanding artists and creators, also boasts the title of UNESCO World Heritage for upgrading urban, historic and natural areas with a strong potential in terms of international development and tourist attraction.
Notable enterprises and research centres in the region:
- Lightning Bolt Europe - http://lightningbolteurope.blogspot.pt
- Onda Wetsuits - http://www.ondawetsuits.com
- Deeply/Sport Zone - https://www.sportzone.pt
- Backwash Surfboards - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Backwash-Surfboards/476514875757968?ref=stream
- NELO Kayak - http://www.nelo.eu
- CITEVE - http://www.citeve.pt