LAS PALMAS DE GRAN CANARIA | Surfing has been present at the International Sea Fair (FIMAR) of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, where the Association of Surfing Schools of Gran Canaria revealed its offer and organised a full programme of activities for all ages
The Association of Surfing Schools of Gran Canaria, supporting the promotion of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria and the Surfing Strategic Plan, led by the Sea City Department, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria Town Hall, attended the latest addition of FIMAR, from 10th to 12th May 2019.
Since its very beginnings, this Sea Fair, which celebrated its 9th edition this year, has been a crucial event for the promotion and dissemination of surfing in our city-island. Not in vain, surfing represents the fastest growing water sport in terms of new surfers, as well as attracting a large number of people due to the excellent climate conditions and variety of waves, who visit us throughout the year to go surfing, body boarding or paddle-surfing / stand-up surfing.
Proof of this is the number of Erasmus students who choose our city for their academic stay, taking advantage of the possibilities to go surfing. The same occurs with another group of special importance, known as the Digital Nomads: they have turned Las Palmas de Gran Canaria into the city to combine tele-working, a warm climate and surfing.
The programme of activities that the Association of Surfing Schools of Gran Canaria developed for the 9th edition of FIMAR is as follows:
- 0am: Presentation
- 6pm – 6.45pm Improve your surfing: tricks that will help you have fun
- 7pm – 7.45pm: Talk on scoring criteria in surfing and bodyboard competitions
- 10am – 11am: Initiation and transfer from skating to surfing
- 11am-12 Noon: Initiation to dry surfing
- 11.30am-1pm: Signing of autographs by the Toyota Canarias surf team
- 12 Noon -2pm: 30 places for initiation in SUP
- 5pm – 6pm: Baptism of dry surfing
- 10.30am-12 Noon: Initiation and transfer from skating to surfing
- 11am-1pm: 30 places for initiation in SUP